Wilder Joins Portland, Maine’s Rock Row as Development Partner
Published: November 16, 2022
Expanded role in Waterstone Properties’ $600 million mixed-use development
Boston (November 16, 2022)—Adding to their current role as Rock Row’s retail merchandising specialist, Wilder is pleased to become a Development Partner in the 110-acre Greater Portland, Maine development. Working with developer and owner Waterstone Properties, the two companies will jointly oversee all new phases of development of an additional 1.6 million square feet of retail, dining, hotel, residential, office and entertainment venues.
“Rock Row is one of the most unique and anticipated developments on the East Coast. With completion of
Phase 1, including Market Basket, REI, Chick-Fil-A, Starbucks and Crumbl, as well as the groundbreaking of the 200,000 square foot Medical Campus, we look forward to adding value to the continuing project by collaborating with Waterstone on additional strategic planning, project management, and financial oversight. Our goal is to put our collective team’s depth of experience to work and create an iconic destination that will provide soul-stirring experiences for both guests and residents,” said Tom Wilder, a Wilder principal.
“Expanding our relationship with Wilder makes perfect sense,” said Waterstone principal, Josh Levy. “We share similar visions of unlocking the power of place through thoughtful design and merchandising. Wilder has a tremendous track record for delivering vibrant mixed-use developments. Working with them as Development Partner on the entire project fortifies the team driving this incredible multiyear, multimillion-dollar project—the largest commercial project in Maine.”
Greater Portland has become a top destination for visitors due to its abundant cultural and recreational opportunities and its vibrant restaurant scene, which has garnered national and international acclaim over the past decade. Maine attracts more than 35 million visitors annually, with over six million flocking to Portland alone. Portland was recently named one of the top 10 places to live in the country by US News and World Report.
Rock Row is a two million square foot mixed-use development centered around a 400-foot wide, 300-foot deep, 26-acre natural stone quarry featuring:
- 500,000 sf of retail, dining, and entertainment in a dynamic, open-air streetscape. Phase One is open with local restaurants Big Fin Poke and Cowbell, plus REI, The Paper Store, Crumbl Cookies, Starbucks, and Market Basket, currently ranked in the top 25 sales producing grocery stores in the country. Phase 2 will feature additional chef-driven restaurants, best-in-class retail, a beer hall, a 550-seat food hall operated and managed by acclaimed chef Akhtar Nawab, a 12-screen Cinemark Theatre, and a 5,000+ capacity multi-purpose venue.
- 400,000 sf of Class-A office space – With the live, work and play environment, Rock Row will offer convenience, modern amenities and time-saving services elevate the employee experience and productivity.
- A 200,000 sf medical campus. Ground was broken on September 21, 2022 for campus anchor New England Cancer Specialists, an affiliate member of Dana Farber Cancer Institute. Rock Row’s Medical & Research Campus will be the newest and most advanced integrated medical campus in New England. Features will include a serene healing garden, outdoor infusion bays, nature trails, and integrated medicine programming as well as valet parking. • 750+ distinctive one-, two-, and three-bedroom residences with designer finishes and modern amenities. The first 350 apartments are planned to open Summer 2024.
- Three hotels including a 250-key conference hotel, a 120-key all-suites hotel, and a non-branded boutique hotel featuring a spa, chef-driven restaurant, and rooftop bar.
- Vibrant experiences centered in and around the 26-acre quarry with four-season activities including light shows, art installations, live music, wedding venues, and over 200 programmed activations annually.
Rock Row is on the Portland/Westbrook line in the center of the region’s primary traffic flow with two direct exits off Interstate-95/Maine Turnpike.
Wilder is a Boston-based real estate development, management, and leasing firm specializing in the positioning of retail-driven mixed-use properties. Privately held and owner-managed, Wilder’s mission continues to be to create vibrant destinations that meet and exceed the expectations of customers, retailers, and investors. From lifestyle centers and urban properties to community centers and mixed-use developments, Wilder has developed, managed, and leased over 20 million square feet of retail properties throughout the United States and Puerto Rico. The Company continues to have a diverse portfolio of properties throughout the East Coast including Greater Boston’s Arsenal Yards, Silver Spring Square in Pennsylvania, and Daniels Marketplace in Fort Myers, Florida. www.wilderco.com.
ABOUT WATERSTONE PROPERTIES
Waterstone is a national leader in pioneering large-scale, immersive, entertainment and experiential-based destination retail locations that are designed to serve the local communities and attract guests from across the country. Waterstone also has a strong focus on core specialties with a portfolio that includes strong-performing office, residential, medical and warehousing/logistical facilities, data centers, mixed-use and retail developments. Waterstones owns and operates more than seven million square feet of commercial properties with more under development. The majority of their assets are located in the Eastern part of the United States. www.waterstonepg.com